Serpens for Kepler
Since 1993 integrating and developing the information infrastructure for science has been the mission of Poznan Supercomputing and Networking Center (PSNC) affiliated with the Institute of Bioorganic Chemistry at the Polish Academy of Sciences. PSNC is the leader in implementing innovative technologies for the national scientific network POL-34/155/622, at present in the network PIONIER – Polish Optical Internet.
PSNC is multifunctional:
- providing computing power and archive systems,
- providing the Internet and network services on international, domestic and local levels
- research and development center for new generation computer networks, modern applications, portals, parallel and distributed computing as well as network and system security
- integration and implementation of scientific research results via developing services for public administration, healthcare, education and the social area,
- computing center in the metacomputing environment
- promotion center for cutting edge information structures: networking and calculating.
Moreover PSNC acts as:
- the operator of the metropolitan area network POZMAN
- the operator of the domestic network PIONIER (Polish Optical Internet) .
Within these frames the Center provides the entire environment with the following services:
- high performance computing,
- communication services (e-mail, teleconferences, www, news, etc.),
- file archiving,
- regional data base (for libraries and scientific information),
- specialized services (multimedia laboratories for visualization and animation),
- software distribution and service.
High Performance Computing centre within PSNC:
- provides computing power, disc space and archiving systems for science, business and public institutions; appears on the TOP500 list of the most powerful computing systems in the world,
- the computing capacity includes systems with distributed and shared memory of varied architectures (parallel vector, multi-processor SMPs and clusters) connected with fast local networks (InfiniBand, Gigabit Ethernet and FastEthernet),
- total computing power 304 TFlops, RAM 27,3 TB, disc space 157 TB, mass storage 1,2 PB.